#16 – The Detto Fatto Impact: Community Class with CHT Group

Show notes

“Does the 1.5 percent keep you up at night, or does it get you up in the morning?” Over a coffee in the 202030 Summit’s community space, Alice Beyer Schuch, the product manager at Detto Fatto, replied, “Definitely gets me up in the morning.”

What is the 1.5 percent? A pair of Detto Fatto Cradle-to-Cradle Platinum Certified jeans is 98.5% biodegradable. The remaining 1.5% is the final puzzle piece in creating a 100% biodegradable pair of jeans, including dyestuff, finishings, and even the elastic fibers in the denim. Detto Fatto, a brand by the german apparel company Bay City, is unique; they proudly stand as the world’s first Cradle-to-Cradle certified brand. This means that Detto Fatto’s entire collection has achieved this high-bar for sustainable production, and they do so through their holistic approach and dogged commitment to finding new design and material solutions. This is made possible through their close collaborations with partners and stakeholders, including the Bangladeshi manufacturer Global Apparel and the German chemical company CHT Group.

At the January 2023 edition of 202030 – The Berlin Fashion Summit, Alice Beyer Schuch and Andreas Bothe from Detto Fatto and Dietmar Hipp from CHT Group gave a community class to share the challenges and (sometimes surprising) solutions to designing for complete circularity. CHT is a key stakeholder in this journey, as the chemical treatments used in denim production are notoriously dangerously toxic. They are a forerunner in developing clean chemistry, and a critical step in transforming the fashion industry at large.

As always, we are guided with the insights of our hosts, Max Gilgenmann and Magdalena Schaffrin of studio MM04. Max and Magdalena are also founding members of Fashion Revolution Germany, which is proud to announce a new collaboration with Detto Fatto, the One Hour T-Shirt campaign. More information here: https://www.dettofatto.com/de/one-hour-shirt

To learn more about the actions around the 10-year anniversary of the Rana Plaza factory collapse: https://www.fashionrevolution.org/rana-plaza-10-years-on-a-decade-of-progress/

You can explore the work of Detto Fatto and CHT Group on their websites: https://www.dettofatto.com/de/ https://www.cht.com/en/sustainability

For more information about 202030 – The Berlin Fashion Summit, including updates about our next edition, visit https://202030summit.com/, and follow us on social media @202030summit.

202030 – The Berlin Fashion Summit is organized by studio MM04, in cooperation with the Beneficial Design Institute. Edition #5 was a Partner of Berlin Fashion Week, funded by the Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Public Enterprises Berlin in cooperation with Fashion Council Germany.

New comment

Your name or nickname, will be shown publicly
At least 10 characters long
By submitting your comment you agree that the content of the field "Name or nickname" will be stored and shown publicly next to your comment. Using your real name is optional.